Sunday, January 6, 2013

DIY Jean Bag

Today I finally went up into the attic and dug out my sewing machine. It's been in hibernation for quite a few years. Since I have come across so many sewing projects and tutorials, I figured it was time to try my hand at it. It took me 25 minutes and a youtube video just to get the darn thing threaded....it was horrible. After that ordeal I needed a no-brainer beginner sewing project. So I decided to take a pair of my daughter's old jeans and turn them into a cute little bag. Here is how:
 
 
Step 1: Take an old pair of jeans, needle and thread (or a sewing machine) and a pair of sharp scissors...I used these Children's Place jeans:
 
 
Step 2: Fold the jeans pocket to pocket and cut just above the crotch area..so it's one solid tube.
 

Step 3: while the pants are inside out, use straight pins to pin the edges together just above where you want the seam...Get ready, set...SEW the bottom raw edge together. TIP: after sewing I realized that I didn't pay attention to the back pockets and i wound up making the seam to high...so when i turned it right side out....some of the pocket doesn't show. no biggie...but just something I would do different next time.

 
Step 4: Turn your bag right side out....this is what it will look like.
 
 
Step 5: Cut the Hem and the side seams off of ONE pant leg. You should have 2 pieces that look something like this:
 
 
Step 6: Now to make the straps or handles....take one piece at a time and fold in half...and pin w/straight pins. Make sure the rightsides are touching each other (meaning..you will have to turn it right side out after sewing)....sew the raw edges together...you should have 2 pieces like this:
 
 
 
Step 7: Turn them right side out
 


Step 8: Attach the handles to the bag....This step I had to hand sew...my machine is just a basic model and isn't heavy duty....after attaching them...your bag should look like this:

 
Here is my daughter wearing the bag....I still want to add some glitter and bling to it...but she couldn't wait...
 


There are some things I would do different the next time around..but all in all it was pretty successful for my first attempt....
 

 

 
 

 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment